For those of us lucky enough to call Plano home, we want to make sure it will remain a place we are proud to call home. We can start by taking advantage of those curbside recycle bins that have been at the end of our driveways for over a decade. Go Plano!
The curbside program collects the following recyclable materials to be processed for shipment to recycling markets:
- Newspapers, magazines, & catalogs
- Phone books
- Glass jars, containers, dishes, drink ware, & vases
- Paper bags
- Aerosol cans
- Aluminum cans
- Junk mail
- Plastic bottles and containers
- Shredded paper
So we have the bins and we know what to put in them, but WHY RECYCLE? Recycling:
- Helps to sustain our environment for future generations
- Conserves our natural resources and protects wildlife habitat and biodiversity
- Decreases emissions of greenhouse gases that contribute to global climate change
- Reduces toxic chemicals and toxic waste
- Saves energy
- Prevents water pollution
- Reduces the need for landfills and incineration
- Increases manufacturing jobs
Those are only 8 of many more reasons why we should recycle, but they’re some great reasons aren’t they? Other ways to promote recycling, other than collecting and processing, is to purchase items we know that can be recycled. It’s a continuous loop that reduces room for additional waste. Once you get the hang of it, it will become a habit and you will know that you’re doing everything you can to make Plano (and our earth!) a better place for future generations to come.
I like to set out a paper bag near the garage where I put all my recyclable items throughout the week. Than the day before trash days, I’ll bring it all out and place it in the recycle bin. It’s that easy! It barely requires any effort, but we’re making this city better. Lastly, don’t forget - your habits often reflect on family and friends, so be a leader and start setting these green examples today!
Keep living green,