Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spread the Word

This past week, I was off from school on our spring break and I got to spend it in Hawaii. Now obviously, going to Hawaii was an amazing experience by itself, but I also learned a lot from the people of the island. My family and I went to the island of Maui, which is a windy place year round. I know of many places that are windy because of their proximity to the ocean, but never have I seen so many wind turbines placed on every area that had a high elevation. Not only that, but because of the high amount of sun that Maui receives, they have solar energy panels everywhere. I saw them on the streetlights, the houses, the stores - almost every time I turned my head, my eyes would be greeted by yet another solar panel (well I may be exaggerating just a little bit).

Upon arriving at the island, my sister and I cruised through the radio stations. Instead of hearing the normal pop music with the occasional commercial mixed in, we heard older songs and different commercials. This fact in itself may not be astounding, but what really struck me was that during every commercial break, the radio show hosts mentioned an eco-friendly tip that they encouraged their listeners to follow as well. When I heard this, I really got thinking: If the people in Hawaii can do it, then so can we!

So my challenge for all of you this week is this - share two tips with friends and family this week, and see if you can get them to follow it too! We may not be able to get our radio show hosts to do this yet, but we can share tips with the people we know and keep the challenge going! Your challenge can be face-to-face or even on social networking sites. What better way to go green than with a “green grass” roots campaign?

Until next time,
greengirl (:

1 comment:

Solar Sales said...

Hawaii has extremely high energy rates....up to $0.32/kWh. Here in Texas we pay roughly 10 cents. It makes sense for the islanders to have solar panels on their homes. Hopefully, Texans can get on board without waiting for the high energy costs.